Right from the beginning of being involved with STF and seeing the logo for the first time, we wanted to create a 3D version.
However this has proved really difficult as on closer inspection the logo is NOT a cube. Megan created a mockup using board and masking take to work out the logistics and to get an idea of size. Were hoping to get the final thing made of wood and roughly 6x6x6cm. We have a helper, Douglas, from 2nd year who kindly adjusted the measurements and today I did an actual size mock-up with my papercraft skills.
We worked out that because the logo is only 3 sides of a ‘cube’ and the ‘S’ is the same upside down, you could create it double sided. But after doing the test today it adds an extra block at the bottom which makes the ‘F’ less obvious…..
Annika Weis | http://behance.net/annikaweis
“The strategic positioning ‘Strong Together’ was visually articulated in the overlapping of the individual letters of the brandmark. A broad spectrum of colours was used to represent core internal pillars of love, hope, strength, wisdom and belonging creating a positive brand expression for both internal and external audiences. Developing the system further, supergraphics were created using enlarged, cropped sections of the brand device. This strong visual language and colour system has been applied to all facets of the business from online, office interiors, merchandise and wayfinding signage.”
Senior designer based in Sydney, Australia. Focused on graphic design, branding and print design.
the design blog: facebook | twitter | pinterest | subscribe
So after designing the flat layouts yesterday, I spent last night putting together quick layouts in InDesign just using boxes and placeholder text, to see how each of the layouts would work onscreen.
We have chose to use different fonts, rather than the usual Enriquetta, as it doesn’t really work as a headline font onscreen. Also it doesn’t really fit in with the style of the app that we are working towards.
We have chosen to use the Cassannet family of fonts and Intro as the headline fonts. We will our usual Gill Sans Light as our body fonts; and also Miso as an alternative.
I think that it is looking really good so far, and designing for iPad is a really good size to work at. Now we need to work on the actual content and begin to add image, text and the icons that George has designed.
I did an online search for free icons but none seemed to be right or consistant enough for what we wanted. These 2 sets show the experimenting with flat edged and rounded styles.
After researching we sketched out rough thumbnails referencing the list of content we made earlier. This features content not found anywhere else on the STF website or blog, such as the stages of creating a typeface, interviews, articles, font sites, exquisite
corpse type game etc.
In creating the layouts we took in to account the effects and gestures we could use and also how these are indicated with a set of icons. It’s also important not to have too many pages or large media which will increase the file size. We’ll use the STF colours and stripe pattern to give it an identity, but we want to vary the header type slightly and not use our brand font ‘Enriqueta’ as much.
Some more research into app functionality. George downloaded some free issues from different magazines do that we could see how they use the interactive features in their issues.
This comes from Wired magazine and is a good use of how scrollable frames could be used. The page is just an image with a title when it is first loaded, but the tab at the bottom of the page prompts users to scroll to reveal the text of the article.
Today we were researching how different magazines use interactive elements to enhance the reading experience. Looking at this page the image is full screen with minimal info, the light beam is also animated. By having a pull up area it gets a lot of text in to a small area but still has visual impact when the large image has space around it.
So here is the finished flipbook mock-up. The sizing works well as it fit into your pocket, but the text is still easily readable.
I have used two different positions for the columns of text, which are top right and bottom left. I used top right for larger blocks of text to allow spacing on the left where the book will be joined with a pin.
I tried to condense the information that is in the full brand guidelines publication that George designed. A lot of this information isn’t really needed in this copy, as it is more or a quick reference guide for colours, fonts and sizes.
The final copy should have more padding on the left and the right, but this has been cut off with the scaling on my printer.
This is a small version of the branding guidelines which Megan has adjusted from my original A4 landscape pdf. With this version we can easily reference the STF colour values when designing. We will print it on the same paper used for the other items in the promo pack.
Yesterday me and Megan put together the brief promotion packs to be sent out to feeder colleges and universities. They included a folder with hand cut logo, A3 poster, A5 flyers, Tear poster, Manifesto, Intro letter and printed address label. Originally we wanted to send out other items to give a wow factor but we felt they weren’t necessary for everyone and would take up more time. We needed to send them out as soon as possible to give time for postage and for students to work on the brief before the deadline on 3rd May.
We will be producing extra items to promote STF in general such as tote bags, pencils, badges, guidelines, flipbook, 3D logo, business cards and iPad app.
Ways of showing type anatomy. For certain letters we are going to do some simple animations. I like the use of circles to highlight areas and the blue lines to represent areas. Link1 Link2 Link3