The other day George assembled the 3D papercraft logos that he designed. These will be used as part of the promotional pack and will be packaged in a coloured STF box.
The papercraft logo will also be available as a download on the STF website.
I thought that it would be a nice feature to create an interactive Exquisite Corpse game using the typefaces from the website. I created a canvas in Photoshop for which I could place all of the sections of the letters in a horizontal row.
I placed the images in scrollable frames and added the arrows to show the user to scroll the frame. George then added the button at the top which brings a pop up explanation of the origin of the game.
After showing this page to a few people it became clear that the scrolling function wasn’t obvious enough. This is because people were swiping the edge of the screen because of the arrow icons (as shown on the guide page). This goes to the next page rather than moving the letters. The solution would be to reposition/ change the arrows and have the page load with a random combination of sections.
Now that wemadeashow.co.uk is live. I sent the details to this website for their directory
More problem solving today creating the app. On the Exquisite Type page I’ve added a pop up info box. On the Type Brut page I created before a big scroller that was taking up most of the page would not allow you to scroll to the next page. I got around this by extending the canvas vertically and scrolling it all rather than a pull up area. This somehow worked. On opening the page you get a large image slideshow which can be changed with the camera button.
Looking for images to include on the Typo London page of the app and came across this! Irma Boom was my favourite
Today was a craft day. We made some mini brand guideline books for quick reference to colour values and logo usage. Megan re-printed the pages on her ink-jet as from previous experience the laser printer didn’t like the card we wanted to use. I also put together the boxes which I screen printed with Douglas last week. These will hold the 3D logo which is 4 separate boxes linked together with slot tabs as when we tried with glue it didn’t look quite right. Shown here is the b+w final mock up. The template will be available to download from the STF website soon.
Overall we are really happy with these, but one thing we would like to have done is screen print the brand guidelines cover with white rather than black.
Screenshots of gathering content for the app through email and facebook
Me and Megan have both been on different placements during our NMP as well as being involved with the DNA quiz, which has meant some things were put on hold and more work during the evenings. I’m now concentrating on NMP while Megan has placement on wed/ thurs. Jo suggested that I team up with a second year for an extra pair of hands to help me out. Douglas, who came from Brazil to study here, has been really helpful and he’s learning on the job which is also a benefit to him. His first task was to photocopy and cut the Type Brief posters and put them around uni.
Last week Douglas discovered the process of screen printing and he helped me cut the paper to the right size, mix the paints, mark out the screen and swap over the tote bags- which had to be done quickly as the screen dries up quite quickly. I haven’t screen printed since first year and now I can see why as the process is time consuming and the results don’t always turn out as expected.
The tote bags turned out really good but the prints on paper didn’t go so well. I think the reason was not putting enough paint down as I needed to cover a larger area and I don’t think the squeegee liked me.
Today I’ve done a spot of coding for the holding page I mocked up yesterday for We Made a Show. I’m using site44.com to test out the page. It converts html, css files etc from Dropbox in to a working site with url anyone can view.
I’ve also updated the page for the pub quiz with new images and taken of the eventbrite bit